What are Sister School Partnerships?
The Sister School Partnership programme creates bilaterally beneficial links between UK and Chinese schools. The programme consists of immersive student exchanges, pedagogy exchanges, participation in joint projects and curriculum enrichment. This is an opportunity for schools to help students develop skills that allow them to succeed in education, work and society. Meet the expectations of the Ofsted framework’s ‘Personal Development’ section; become a UK ambassador and teach valuable life skills such as resilience, confidence, independence, responsibility, respect and diversity appreciation.
What are the benefits?
- Establish on-going international school collaboration through student exchanges and joint projects
- Benchmark practice against other school systems
- Encourage cultural tolerance, highlighting diversity and
- similarities with peers around the world
- Awareness of international pedagogies and curriculum
- Increases confidence and enthusiasm for language learning
- Unique CPD opportunity for staff
- Satisfy many Ofsted framework expectations
- Make your school more competitive and attractive to parents
Positive effect on levels of pupil awareness, attitudes and response, teaching life skills to increase employability
- Inclusive programme for the entire school community, not just beneficial for students visiting China
- Take part in life-changing, immersive education experiences through trips to China and UK hosting
- Gain valuable life skills such as resilience, confidence, independence, responsibility and respect
- Gives students pride and knowledge of their own culture by becoming UK ambassadors
- Raise cultural awareness, highlight diversity and develop cross-cultural collaboration skills
- Improve employability in contemporary marketplace Build life-long friendships with Chinese students
- Develop intercultural understanding and sensitivity, and an appreciation of different points of view
- Gain confidence in language learning and communication skills
- Increase comfort level with different styles of teaching
There is £110,000 funding available for October 2020’s Leadership Delegation. Your school’s Headteacher or Senior Leader will travel to China to get first-hand experience of the country and sign an MOU with your partnered Chinese school.
Additional inclusivity funding is available through TEP’s Scholarship initiative. There is a £150,000 Scholarship pot, which 5 students from each region can apply for to join a trip to China, certain terms and conditions apply.
Government funding is available through the ‘Social mobility and opportunity areas‘ collating to £18,000,000 for Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Stoke & West Somerset.
Partnership Initiation Funding
– £185k funding for October
(looking for 100 leaders)
The cost of a Leadership Delegation is roughly £1850. This fee is not applicable if a school launches their trip to parents before their delegation trip. However, if this is not the case we ask for schools to cover this initial cost, which is fully reimbursed once a school begins their student exchanges.
Scholarship Inclusivity Funding
– £150k overall funding for the UK
– 5 students per region available
Scholarship applications are open to any school and student who are in the Sister School Partnership programme with intentions to visit their sister school in China. Certain terms and conditions apply to the criteria and selection of suitable candidates.
The Sister School Partnership Process
1. Leadership Delegation
To set up a partnership, a UK senior teacher can attend a delegation to China in April or October.
3. Student Hosting
You can now get paid to host your Chinese Sister School, giving all students in your school community the culture sharing experience.
2. Trip to China
UK students visit their sister school in a life-changing immersive experience journey to China.
4. Joint Projects
We support all our partnered schools to take part in regular joint projects and communications.
How TEP support the process
- Allocated a dedicated School Account Manager (SAM) who will support you throughout the process
- We setup your Sister School Partnership through Chinese government
- Operations team manage all logistics, including: travel, accommodation, visas and tourism activities.
- Whilst in China we supply a Group Co-Ordinator / Translator to accompany you
- Sister School Welcome Pack and other resources you will receive have all the necessary preparation information you will need, including a: launch presentation, fundraising pack, communications guide, medical guideline, risk assessment pack, language tutorial, parent handbook, currency guide and cultural differences presentation
True Education Partnerships is the only official provider for the UK Government Ambassador Sister School Programme, representing both local and national interests. We currently have 80+ active international teaching partnerships with councils, schools and organisations in the UK and China, delivering trusted international exchange programmes.