April 20th was World Chinese Language Day, celebrating the creation of written Chinese characters by its inventor Cang Jie.
This lesson plan provides everything you need to teach students about Cang Jie and the birth of Chinese characters. With our free downloadable Powerpoint presentation, students will learn about Chinese chops (seals) and how the Cang Jie system is used in computing today.
- Learn about the history of the Chinese written language or characters, and the UN’s World Language Day.
- PowerPoint for information (downloadable below)
- Videos to watch
- Interactive Quiz (below)
- Use the PowerPoint to learn about World Chinese Language Day (UNESCO) and Cang Jie who invented the written characters.
- Test students’ knowledge with our interactive quiz.
- Allow students to invent some new characters using art materials or create a Chinese chop for their own name.
- Watch the videos and find out more information about World Chinese Language Day.
- Find out about the invention and inventor of the Chinese characters.
- Develop some new characters (symbols) for words OR create a Chinese chop or seal for your own name.
- See if you can answer the quiz!